Enrollment in Health Insurance
(March 2020 Report)
Twice a year, CHIA updates its analysis of Massachusetts health insurance enrollment trends for the most recent trailing two-year period to give researchers and policymakers insight into the market. Approximately 6.4 million Massachusetts residents have health insurance coverage, where coverage is defined by unique Massachusetts residents with primary, medical membership in the 14 largest commercial payers, MassHealth (Medicaid), or Medicare.
The March 2020 edition, which covers the period between September 2017 and September 2019, includes an interactive dashboard, a detailed databook, and technical appendix.
Enrollment measures are also reported in CHIA's Annual Report on the Performance of the Massachusetts Health Care System.
Enrollment Trends Findings (March 2020)
- From September 2017 and September 2019, private commercial insurance enrollment decreased slightly (-1.4%), covering approximately 4.0 million Massachusetts residents.
- Between September 2017 and September 2019, the merged market grew by 0.7% (+5,000 members).1
- The number of Massachusetts residents receiving primary, medical insurance coverage from Medicare continued to grow to over 1.1 million by September 2019.
- In September 2019, nearly 1.2 million Massachusetts residents relied on MassHealth for their primary medical coverage, a decline of -4.5% compared to September 2017.
Another 592,000 residents received partial or secondary coverage from MassHealth, an increase of 4.1% over the same period.
1. The Massachusetts merged market includes private commercial insurance sold to individuals or small groups (50 or fewer eligible employees) under fully-insured plans.
Enrollment Trends - September 2017 through September 2019
- March 2020
Updated March 2020