Enrollment in Health Insurance
(February 2018 Report)
Enrollment Trends monitors health insurance coverage in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, where coverage is defined by unique Massachusetts residents with primary medical membership in the 13 largest commercial payers, MassHealth (Medicaid), and Medicare.
The February 2018 edition of Enrollment Trends offers insights into changes in health insurance coverage in Massachusetts from September 2015 through September 2017.
Key Findings from February 2018 Enrollment Trends
- Over four million Massachusetts residents received their primary, medical health insurance coverage through private commercial insurance from September 2015 through September 2017.
- The number of individuals purchasing coverage through the MA Health Connector increased by nearly 50% between September 2015 through September 2017, from over 174,000 to over 257,000 members.
- Medicare Advantage membership continued to grow at a faster rate than traditional Medicare Fee-for-Service (+7.8% vs. 0.0%) between September 2016 and September 2017.
- The accompanying databook has additional detail not included in the main report. The report is also accompanied by a technical appendix and MA APCD programming code.
- Enrollment Trends is produced using the Massachusetts All-Payer Claims Database, supplemented with additional data from commercial payers, the Massachusetts Health Connector, and the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services.